Free Home Value Report Search For Homes

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Avoid This Common Long Island Buyer Mistake


Want to sell your home? Get a FREE home value report. 
Want to buy a home? Search all homes for sale.
  
Today, we will discuss a common buyer mistake. I actually ran into this problem recently, so let me tell you the whole story.

Wednesday night, I received a message from a friend of mine who claimed that her friend’s daughter is having an awful time trying to find a home. I cannot stress enough how often I hear this. I reached out to her friend via text message because it was fairly late and I didn’t want to disturb her. The message goes  like this: “Hi, so-and so. Someone mentioned to me that your daughter is having trouble finding a home.”

I asked about the problem, and the response was, “She needs a three bedroom home. They’re not afraid to do work, but they also have to be able to live in.”

Now, that is a description of what they are looking for, not the problem they’re having. I said, “Okay, they’re having a hard time locating a home like that?”

The response: “Yes. Also, every time they find a house, it’s already in contract or an offer has been already made. It’s very frustrating.”

That is frustrating. I asked if they had been working with one agent the whole time or different agents for each home. What I was trying to do was determine whether the problem was one agent’s inability to obtain a home for them or lack of loyalty to an agent.

This nice lady said they were looking with different agents. Right then I knew that one of the problems is they don’t have an agent working for them. The agents they are trying to deal with work for the sellers. That makes the entire process very difficult and clumsy. They have to fight for knowledge and they are in the dark about what is actually going on. I followed up by asking if the daughter would like to sit and talk about buying a home.

The response was she is incredibly busy and didn’t know when she could. This daughter was expecting a baby and running her own business, which means she probably needs a write off. To me, the motivation is there, but the reality is, she doesn’t have time. If you don’t have time to dedicate to searching for a home, that can be incredibly frustrating.

I said I understood and if she wanted a professional, I would make myself available.  Now, I decided a very long time ago that I will not be that agent who runs around searching for a home without even knowing what that person wants in a home. In this situation, it sounds like there are too many cooks in the kitchen.

The takeaway today is work with a professional agent and do your due diligence when you’re looking for a home. Have a consultation with your agent so they know your time frame, motivation, and what you’re looking for in a home. Don’t run around dealing with seller’s agents. Work with a buyer’s agent.


If you have any questions about today’s video, just give me a call or send me an email. I would be happy to help you.

No comments :

Post a Comment